Monday, May 18, 2009

ER in Gahd-nah, MA

Hey all. It's been a while since we've had a post so I thought I would add something. I just started my ER rotation in Gardner, MA (Gahd-nah for those of you who may be unsure of how to pronounce it with proper New England charm). Small town - which happens to be the Furniture Capitol of New England (I definitely need to leave with an armoire or a headboard or something of the sort). So far, I have done 5 shifts of 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. My preceptor is super cool: young, tells it like it is, teaches well, lets me do things (yay sutures!!) and will tell patients to their face that they are being a pain in the ass. The night people are certainly a special type... the level of innuendo, cursing, and overall inappropriateness is both shocking and hilarious. I'm just waiting to feel comfortable enough to drop in a "That's what she said" joke. Hehe.

As far a procedures, I got to learn a figure-8 stitch to close up a guy's little wounds from his femoral artery catheterization he had undergone a few days prior. I didn't tell him (or let on) that he was the first human being to be stitched by me but it it looked damn fine, I'll tell you! It sure beat pig's feet & moleskin foam. In the same night, I got to put 7 sutures in the leg of an overweight girl who was a cutter. At least it was a nice clean cut.

I met a man, 93-years-old, who was telling me about his chest pain that was going into his back. Yikes. He ended up having a huge amount of blood in his chest from a leaky TAA. He got sent to Worcester, to UMass, to have it repaired. In the meantime, he looked pretty good and was able to tell me all about his suspenders, which were red and he called them his "fireman pair". Cute.

There was a sweeeeeet scrotal abscess the other night, from which poured a glooorrrrrious stream of pus when I&D'd. I love me some infectious fluids.

Lots of drunk people who do stupid things. Sick kids with hyper parents. Sick kids who actually need to be seen. People with asinine complaints at 3 a.m. "My toe hurts. I have an ingrown toenail"... "my eye is swollen". Waaah.

Most of the time, I half know what to do... the rest of the time, I am absolutely clueless. I have been able to answer some questions, others get a blank stare. I got to try to get blood for ABG's (I hope my wording correctly implies that I was unsuccessful), having earned my preceptor's trust in my abilities to stab people (my suturing earlier in the evening). There are only 9 shifts left (he's on vaca this week) and I am sure I will see plenty, get to do plenty. I really like it, much more than I thought I would. I am not an adrenaline junkie, so I did not look forward to this one. It is very dynamic though, which I enjoy more than the well-child checks or 3-month cholesterol checks (snooooze). He seems to think I will enjoy surgery, working with my hands more. I'd have to agree.

Later, kids. Have a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment