Wednesday, January 14, 2009

First, (well second) post

Well, I guess I have to be the first to post so here goes...

The pathology rotation with Dr. Andrew (not AndrewS, there is no "s") and Dr. Duvall is pretty tit. As I said in my email to everyone, I start at a reasonable time and get done with autposies by 2pm, which leaves the rest of the day for paperwork (aka, I can pretty much leave, but I stay to make it feel like I accomplish something!)

To date, I have seen 5 autopsies and participated in 3 of them:

First day, was a known alcoholic and dropped to the ground after buying a 6-pack. Duvall agreed with me when I suggested dilalated cardiomyopathy due to EtOH, but once we removed the organs, there were large bilateral PE's that came from the left distal leg. The second was a gunshot to the chest just to the right of the right nipple. It entered at rib 4/5 and lodged in the spine at about 6/7, passing through the lung. COD was exsanguination, as there was about 2L of blood in the chest, but the manner of death Duvall said probably wont be able to be determined as there are too many factors to consider whether it was done on accident, purpose, or someone shot them...

Second day, we had an obese person who was suspected to have died of a methadone overdose. COD in OD cases takes 4-6 weeks as toxicology results take this long. The second was an elderly person who came in with bruises on the right shoulder, eye, and head, almost in a linear pattern. When we opened the skull, there was a big subdural hematoma where the injury to the head was. On both of these patients I got to practice drawing fluids from various areas: eyes, femoral vein, IVC, gallbladder, bladder, which is pretty cool for only the second day.

Today, another suspected OD, Duvall says more than 50% of the cases they see are drug related, making them pretty mundane unless there is incidental pathology, which there was in this case! I was attempting to draw bile from the gallbladder, which looked really different from the other ones I had seen. The only thing that made me positive that it was the gallbladder was the 1 inch round stone I felt while putting the syringe in.

Tomorrow we have a 20 something y/o who dropped dead. More to come on that after tomorrow morning.

Hopefully this will inspire people to follow suit and post something of your own.

Peace!

5 comments:

  1. Josh. First of all-- you are a nerd. Let's get that straight. Fun blog. I, however, have absolutely nothing exciting to contribute at the moment. Until I see something besides a child with a URI, I will have to be a lowly lurker on this blog. Peeeace out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So....seeing i have never done this...is this blogging or just commenting to Josh?...humm...someone correct me if I'm wrong. Okay so my first rotation...
    IS AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEE...omg...I love it. I'm in Salem, working in a small clinic, so we don't get to see anything exciting, but my preceptor has given me pretty much full independence, well....as much as it is allowed anyways. I get to see my own patients, do all the fun stuff, dx them, and even write out their prescriptions (of course i cant sign these, but im not complaining), and get to write sick notes...i know...nothing crazy...everyone is probably doing this, but im still loving it. I even have MY PATIENTS..haha...patients i'm going to follow for the next 5 weeks. This is great. Even though we have to check in everything we do, which is annoying at times, but it's okay. Fun cases?....besides your usual yeast, alcoholic, HTN, DM, Colds,..ooh, young girl came in today with..well, can't really dx is as anything, but she normally has a lot of ectopy, but again it's nice to know, it's okay not to jump the gun everytime.
    So things i'm not doing so good on...THE SPEED... i feel like i'm, way to slow in seeing the patient, writing up their charts, and makind everything into an appropriate record. Maybe that is something that comes with time. Anywhoooo....I hope everyone is having an awesome time...Miss you guys

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...i have terrible grammar...sorry..next time i'll double check..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Farah, what you did was just comment on my post :) To add a post of your own, click on the "new post" button at the top right corner of the screen and you'll be able to post under your own heading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooo..i knew i was doing it wrong...okay...i'll do that next time....thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete