Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Fletcher Allen Psychiatry

Well the last week was another interesting week of new experiences.



I am starting to get my feet under my self. I was asked to do a routine exam on a depressed patient with diabetes. I thought "no problem", great an easy one. Well as I went through her family history the patient unearthed a 55 year suppressed history of a very traumatic childhood. I will not speak of it here. I have not been able to sleep for the past two nights. The patient had not spoken of it before with any of her health care providers. My psychiatrist thinks she felt comfortable with me because as he puts it "I do not know anything". He thinks I was able to put an agenda aside and just talk with the patient. Thank you, I think?

Well...I thought holy shit, so I presented the case and guess who gets to do psychotherpy daily with this patient....yours truly. I had to look up what psychotherapy meant. I am still a little unclear. Wish me luck....if the patient goes into graphic detail about this history....I may need therapy.

It is a great experience, I will never forget it.



See you all in 3 weeks and 3 days.....however I am not counting

No comments:

Post a Comment