Thursday, January 22, 2009

Gen Med I at the VA Hospital

Well so far it is gone pretty well. I am actually in the urgent care center of the hospital so it can be exciting at times....and a little intimidating. I too was thrown in right when I started...no observation. I feel like an idiot most of the time but I am getting used to that. The staff is great. Everyone is very willing to help or teach me anything. The patients are well you guessed it....old men. I have seen 2 women in the past 2 weeks and no one under the age of 35. Mostly it's COPD exacerbations, URIs, pneumonia, falls on ice, ect.... The patients are all very friendly and don't mind students at all which I was a little surprised about. So far I have seen a pleuralcentesis and done some blood draws, an NG tube, a foley, and removed sutures from a drunk man that had them in for a month! It was pretty nasty...but still fun.

I am getting a little tired of old men but its not as bad as I thought it would be. Yesterday we had a guy come in with a HUGE bowel obstruction. We had to send him to Concord Hosp becasue we can't really tx those pts at the VA. I hope everyone else is enjoying themselves. :)

See you all in 3 weeks!

PS...No P. Callahan sightings so far....pfew! I still don't know anything about abx.

1 comment:

  1. What?!? You aren't going to visit her at the coumadin clinic???

    :-D

    ReplyDelete